The Body Knows: Weekend Workshop Bristol
Sat 3rd Jun 2023, 12:30pm – Sun 4th Jun 2023, 4:30pm UK time (UTC +01:00)
- Elevate, Museum Street, Bristol, UK
|Hosted by||The Psychedelic Society|
|Activity||The Body Knows|
|Local group||South West|
|Add to calendar||Google · ICS|
‘It gave me permission to become absorbed in the everyday miracle of experience in a way that I’ve previously associated only with psychedelics.’ - A
‘It opened my eyes to new creative possibilities in my life.’ - Beth. C
‘Take this course and be transformed!’ - Dan
Do you want to break the self-imposed limitations of your self expression?
Are you curious to deepen a powerful relationship with yourself and the natural world?
The Body Knows weekend workshop will help you develop the practical skills to explore the wonderment of somatic experience. Through playful experiments & creative body based practices it will vitalize your nervous system's resiliency, reduce anxiety and boost immunity.
You will traverse the liminal space of ‘meeting the edge’ and safely exploring outside of your comfort zone using the magic of dreamy somatic states, movement, play and improv.
The practices amplify our ability to problem solve, boost confidence and tap into the divine joy of the cosmic laugh that when applied carefully can be a profound resource for our capacity for transformation, healing and personal growth.
The Body Knows weekend workshop is a sister programme from The Body Knows 6 week online course.
- You will have one 25 minute integration call with Dani via zoom to help you integrate your process from the weekend.
- You will receive a detailed follow up email on what we explored over the weekend.
- You will have the opportunity to share in smaller groups to form deeper connections & group support.
- There will be a mixture of embodied practices, such as movement and meditation, theatre games as well as sharing circles and rituals.
- It’s encouraged to have a movement journal to document your practice. This can be written, drawn, recorded via voice notes or video or a mixture of all these mediums.
“I signed up out of curiosity, not knowing what to expect, and now I am amazed by the after-glow effect it left on my life.”
Practices we will cover over the weekend
- Active Listening & Journalling
- Alexander Technique: Voice
- Embodied Boundaries & Consent
- Focusing & Orientation Practice
- Free Play, Clowning & Improvisation
- Learn the foundations of ‘embodied awareness', somatic work & The Felt Sense’
- Somatic Movement & Contemporary Dance as tools for embodied self awareness
Is this weekend for you?
- This course is fully inclusive and valuable to everyone regardless of relationship status or model you’re in, age (18+), ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and experience, religious beliefs, income and otherwise.
- Although this course can be therapeutic, it is not therapy. Whilst we set up a container that enables trust and honesty, we ask everyone to take responsibility for their experience. Please speak to your therapist or health professional if you have experienced abuse or trauma through touch or otherwise before you decide to take this course.
- No previous experience needed with The. Body Knows coruses, workshops or similar.
“Absolutely incredible, life changing session.”
This course may be of benefit if you are
- Feeling disconnected from your body or/and playful authentic expression
- You are wanting to learn in community and have accountability to practice embodied wellbeing.
- Are new to embodiment - somatic practice or want to refresh your knowledge
- Seeking new ways to unlock creative or emotional blockages that are holding you back and want to create more space for self development.
- Wanting to give your body some self love and attention whilst having fun too!
- You're a yoga teacher, therapist or body worker and are seeking a supportive place to practice your existing skills with like minded people.
"Absolutely incredible, life changing session. Dani is an amazing facilitator who really helps you to embrace your inner child, be silly and play. She transports you to another world and I will be implementing the things she taught us into my everyday life." Maggie.
“ I signed up out of curiosity, not knowing what to expect, and now I am amazed by the after-glow effect it left on my life. I feel much safer in my body because it’s so much easier now to just be silly and intrigued by whatever arises…Whether you consider yourself a wallflower or a wild animal, this is an open environment for everyone! You show up as who you are and be reminded that there is your facilitator’s guidance but also your body’s, so just do whatever you feel.. Thank you, Dani. Much love. ” - Maram.
“It felt like a really natural way of being, of playing, allowing the child self that always sits inside the freedom to unfold without judgment. Dani's sensitivity to the whole, and the way she guided us and nudged us softly in different directions felt really natural and balanced." - Asher Sai B’Hahn
"Dani's facilitation was magical. I felt like I was softly guided into the world of play without even realising that she was taking me there, and then she held me there so gently and unobtrusively that a whole world could develop around me that was beautifully expansive, but also completely safe!" - Maddy Li
THE VENUE: Elevate Studio Bristol
Elevate Studio is situated near the gorgeous harbour side at Whapping Warf. Click here for directions.
Travelling out of town? Some Accomedation options below
Airbnb - Prices range, good if you need privacy.
YHA Bristol - Great reviews, close to venue, good value.
The Full Moon Hostel - Shared accomadation, cheap(ish), fun vibe!
Bristol Harbour Hotel & Spa - If you fancy something swish!
The workshop dates/times
Saturday 03 June 12:30 - 17:00
Sunday 04 June 13:00 - 16:30
About Your Facilitator
Dani Tonks: Somatic Coach, Movement Teacher & Artist
Social media handles
Dani is a trauma informed Somatic Coach, trained actor, self taught dancer, pleasure activist and workshop facilitator. With over 12 years of practical experience within somatic and embodiment work she has developed a playful and sensitive approach, combining a range of disciplines including acting, contemporary dance, somatics, alexander technique, ritual, meditation and clowning.
Dani is the founder of Wild Play Lab, curating workshops, retreats and facilitating the unfolding of play as a tool for self transformation and wellbeing.
Wild Play Lab has formed collaborations across the UK with Craigberoch.org, Novartis,The Psychedelic Society, Medicine Festival, Soma Lab, The Collective, House of Togetherness, Noisily Festival, Antidote, Poetry Cafe, Shine Charity, Beat Charity and Bootstrap Charity.
Dani has worked as an international performer, director and workshop facilitator for over 12 years. She has worked extensively in film, theatre, radio and TV, and has toured internationally with self devised shows.
Organisations she has worked with include:
The BBC, The British Youth Filming Academy, Contact Youth Actors Company at Contact Theatre (Manchester), The Royal Exchange Youth Company (Manchester), CYAC (Contact Young Actors Company) and Blue Eyed Soul Dance Company.
Education & Training:
The Somatic School - (ICF Accredited Training)
Organic Intelligence® for Coaches Training
Trauma Informed Facilitation with Bryony Beynon
East 15 Acting School (BA Acting; Somatic & embodiment work, animal studies, archetypal work and Jungian Psychology, contemporary dance, clown, Meisner technique)
Alexander Technique with Trish Baillie 1 yr (Manchester School Of Theatre)
Bootstrap Charity 6 month mentoring programme
Tough Cookie Mental Resilience Training
The British Youth Filming Academy (2 Years; movement/embodiment & voice training and acting for screen)
Embodied Activism by Rae Johnson
Jon Davis Clowning School
Teatr Pieśń Kozła / Song of the Goat Theatre (Poland, voice and prose,biomechanics, classical acting training)
15 years of professional training, teaching & performance within embodiment, movement & somatics
I offer three payment options to support people on a lower wage. If you consider yourself to be a high earner then paying an abundant option helps to subsidise places for people on lower incomes. We really appreciate your support.
If you feel strongly called to come but cannot afford the low income option, please get in touch and we can discuss a payment plan or bursary place to support you.
Early Bird - £135
Low income - £155
Standard - £175
Abundant - £200
You’ll need to create a free zoom account which you can set up here: zoom.us
DATES & TIMES: Sat June 12:30 - 17:00, Sun 4 Feb, 13:00 - 16:30
TICKET PRICES: £135 - 200
DOORS OPEN: 12:25
NO ENTRY AFTER: 12:40 To avoid disruption to the event, latecomers may not be admitted.
There are no refunds on tickets. Tickets can be transferable to another participant if organised by the buyer up to 12 hours before the event. In particular cases of extreme circumstance with at least 24 hours notice of cancellation, the buyer may be authorised a transferred ticket to a course at a later date.
REFUNDS POLICY: Please note, we do not arrange refunds or exchanges. When possible we encourage reselling on Ticketswap.
ACCESS: We do our best to include everyone in our events, regardless of health circumstances. If you have access requirements please email the event organiser directly to discuss. Many facilitators are able to offer reduced ticket prices for those truly unable to afford the ticket price. If this applies to you, do please get in touch with the event organiser.
For PSYCHEDELIC KNOWLEDGE AND RESOURCES please check out the Psychedelic Society website.
Our facilitators have agreed to our code of conduct. Learn about our procedure for raising concerns
MEMBERS of the Psychedelic Society get a discount off almost all of our events.
Join from £5 a month and become part of this amazing community with invites to special events and more.
There was an error processing the transaction
You have not be charged. Please refresh the page to try again.
Pay with SEEDS
Looking for your transaction...
Making a manual transaction? You will find pasting these details easier if you 'Expand view' first.
Looking for your transaction...